Vegan's Chronicles

Baking & Knitting
bangsan market

Lately, I've been doing so much baking that I needed to stock up on some essential ingredients. I tend to buy a lot of stuff like pumpkin puree, oatmeal, or cocoa powder from online (www.bakingworld.co.kr), but every once in a while, I like to actually make the trip to Bangsan market just to be surrounded by baking supplies and explore what's available. It's always an exercise in self-control though because I always end up spending way more money than I expected! Check my original, in-depth post about Bangsan here.

bangsan market

Cookie cutters

bangsan market

Extracts & dried herbs

bangsan market

Nuts, powders, candied fruit etc

bangsan market

More nuts & dried fruits

I'm not much of a clothing or shoe shopper, but when it comes to buying food and baking supplies, I could never get sick of it. I can easily spend several hours checking out all the decorative ingredients, molds, baking pans, gadgets, and packaging materials.

bangsan market

And here are the paper baking molds I bought the other day. They're so cute and pretty, I almost don't want to use them.

bangsan market

Muffin/cupcake cups.

bangsan market

Another reason why I love this part of Seoul is that right next to the Bangsan baking market, there's a street lined with yarn shops. I love knitting (I can only knit rectangular things like scarves) but haven't done it in a few years. But the other day, I felt the sudden urge to knit! So I was on the look-out for pretty yarn.

bangsan market

So many to choose from!

bangsan market

In the end, I bought these two types of yarn (acrylic, not wool). 4 skeins of each color, for a total of 14,000 won. Cheap right? :) I already finished knitting a scarf with the pink one and am wearing it proudly.

Directions to Bangsan Baking Market & Yarn shops:
There are several different ways to get there, but this is the way I go: Euljiro 4-ga, Line 2 & 5, Exit 4. When you come out of the exit escalator, walk straight for one minute and turn right at the main intersection. Keep walking for about 5 minutes (you will pass all the yarn shops on your right). Turn right when you see a road with a sign overhead that says “방산종 합시장.” Walk for about 50 meters and you will begin to see little stores selling paper muffin liners and packaging boxes on your left. Turn into one of those alleys, and there will be many more baking supplies within the maze.