Vegan's Chronicles

Veggie Holic Bakery @ Hongdae

Typhoon Kompasu woke me up so early today~ How rude! My sister and I were going to go down to Cheonan, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Thank goodness I don't have to commute to work. I'm content to just stay in my cubby hole of an apartment and munch on all the delicious bread that I bought at Veggie Holic yesterday!

IMG_6498

I heard about Veggie Holic quite a while ago, but since I don't go to Hongdae very often, I kept forgetting about it. However, I recently started hearing all sorts of great things about this bakery from a bunch of different sources (including some of you readers!), so yesterday I finally made the pilgrimage to this vegan sanctuary.

IMG_6517

Everything is 100% vegan. Dat's the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it~ uh huh, uh huh~

IMG_6501

Oh my gahhh. My heart flutters at the sight of so many vegan carb options!

IMG_6502

Walnut manjoos

IMG_6504

Three different kinds of morning toast breads (black raspberry, mixed fruit/nuts, and sweet pumpkin).

IMG_6505

It says 'Blueberry muffins' but there were also chocolate and sweet pumpkin muffins.

IMG_6507

Chestnut bread and chocolate pound cake.

IMG_6508

Not sure what to call these, but they looked like shortbread sandwiches with candied fruits and nuts in the filling.

IMG_6510

*found out that the cookies with the "Cookie" stickers on them are not vegan. (5/10/10)

IMG_6523

I'll give you a moment to slurp up that drool from the corner of your mouth~

IMG_6514

Oh dear~

IMG_6520

The vegan drinks menu. I'm sooo getting the caramel affogato next time. :)

IMG_6537

Here are the goods that I splurged on: Bokbunja black raspberry bread (복분자식빵, 5,500 won), a package of biscotti cookies (5,000 won), a chocolate chip muffin (2,000 won), and a sweet pumpkin muffin (2,000 won). The little twisted bread/cake came for free along with the purchase of the loaf of bread. Including a tax fee, I spent a total of 14,500 won! Eeeep! But what is life without a little carb-binging... :) And besides, it's always a pleasure to support one of the few independent, vegan businesses here in Korea.

IMG_6539

Ofcourse, my sister and I had to immediately give one of the muffins a taste, so we opened the sweet pumpkin one. Love the vegan muffin top!

IMG_6547

This was a little on the denser side (similar to pound cake) and it was delicious. It wasn't sickeningly sweet and I especially loved the nuts and sweet pumpkin chunks.

IMG_6530

Everything got neatly packed in a goodie bag for me to take home. For breakfast this morning, I also had some of the black raspberry bread and the biscotti, both of which are awesome awesome awesome. I can't wait to take a bite out of the chocolate muffin next!

I was actually most excited to try their vegan soy yogurt, but the lady at the counter said they were all out because the yogurt company was going through some factory/packaging changes. Bummerrr~~~! She felt really bad about it, but assured me that they will have them back in stock by mid-September. I guess that just gives me another reason to revisit Veggie Holic in a few weeks (not that I need much more convincing anyway). You can also order their products through their website, which I might actually do for their yogurt when it becomes available.

Directions: Hongik University Station, line 2, Exit 2. When you come out the escalator stairs, turn left and walk 2 blocks. Then cross the street and walk to the right. Turn into the road between 'Pourtoi Bakery' and Hana Bank and walk straight, passing a 'Kosa Mart' and a church on your right. Then turn left at the corner of a pizza/pasta restaurant. Veggie Holic will be on your left, a few stores down. (About a 5-minute walk from the station exit).

Opening Hours: Everyday 10AM-10PM