Vegan's Chronicles

Brotty brot brot~

After lunch at Itaewon the other day, Janice and I hopped across the street from Taj Palace to the Foreign Food Mart. Every time I go to Itaewon, I make sure to make a pit-stop there and I never leave empty-handed. This time, I decided to buy a package of German 4-Grain Brot (bread)! They also have rye brot (both 3,500 won), but I went with this one:

brot

The 90's called and it wants its corny packaging back.

brot

6 ingredients, all recognizable, all vegan!

brot

It looks like a solid brick that could do some serious damage if thrown at a window... or at someone's head...

brot

... but it separates into 8 thin layers! Ok fine, there are only 7 layers in this picture because I had already eaten one.

brot

Whole grain goodness.

brot

This was my first time trying this type of German bread and I wasn't sure what to expect. Turns out, it's pretty darn good! It's a bit crumbly, but I love the chewiness of the whole grains, as well as its sour, tangy flavor. I like! It's also very dense, filling and robust- not your typical soft, airy bread.

brot

So far, I've just been eating it as a snack, either plain or with a little bit of pb, but I plan on making sandwiches with it and also breaking it up and adding it to salads. I think I'm already on my way to a new addiction. An awesome find at the FFM!

Taj Palace with Janice

Actually, I was originally planning to buy black salt at the FFM because it's a curious ingredient in some of the tofu eggy recipes from 'Vegan Brunch' by Isa. What I found were these large packages of powdered black salt for the whopping price of 13,000 won! Eeeep! I'm not that desperate for my tofu scramble to taste like real egg, so I passed on it this time. Maybe if I find someone who wants to share a package with me... ? Funny thing though, I expected it to be black, but the salt powder is actually pink. Bizzare-o.