Vegan's Chronicles

Have yourself a merry vegan Christmas~

Happy Christmas! I had a wonderful weekend, hanging out with dear friends, being with family, and gobbling up lots of homey eats. On Friday, Chris was hosting a small Christmas appetizer & dessert potluck, so I got busy in the kitchen, preparing the following desserts:

IMG_0528.jpg

I know pumpkin pie is more traditionally eaten for Thanksgiving, but I actually didn't get any at Thanksgiving dinner this year. Although Kia's pumpkin cheesecake was seriously amazeballs, I still felt a deep longing in my soul for pumpkin pie. A month later, I could no longer ignore the craving, so I decided to make it for Christmas.

IMG_0431.jpg
IMG_0432.jpg

I went with the same Veg Web Tofu Pumpkin pie recipe I've used for several years now. However, it didn't turn out so well this time because I had to strain the canned pumpkin puree which was too runny. In the end though, I think I maybe strained it too much! As a result, the filling was thicker/denser than normal, and it also had a 'skin' on the top from being overbaked. Oops.

IMG_0479.jpg
IMG_0501.jpg

It still tasted fine, but I might have to appease the perfectionist freak inside me by making another one soon.

IMG_0586.jpg

Ah, what a fine spread. No one wanted to bother with fancy entree dishes or create a sit-down menu, so we all decided to have an apps & 'serts potluck. No entrees allowed. :)

IMG_0556.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg
IMG_0560.jpg

For my appetizer contribution, I brought two different dips (to be eaten with good ol' nacho chips): tomato-garlic bean dip, and a vegan chickin' salad-style dip made with bamboo shoots. In addition to the pumpkin pie, for dessert, I brought cherry-chocolate chip cookies, mint chocolate wafer cookies, and strawberry thumbprint cookies.

IMG_0563.jpg

Here are some other treats: traditional Korean snacks.

IMG_0578.jpg

Chris found some vegan bread at the 'Milk & Honey' bakery section of EMart. Yea, the bakery name is not 'vegan' at all, but apparently, they have some decent animal-free bread. Loved the dark loaf. So chewy-good.

IMG_0580.jpg

Yunseo's signature ddeokbokki, for spicy deliciousness.

IMG_0573.jpg

Everyone also brought pressies and stuck them under the Christmas bush. It felt like being with family~ :) Eating good grub, opening up presents, and then watching 'Elf' and eventually falling asleep.

IMG_0594.jpg

Oh, and during the night, it snowed enough that there was a thin white blanket covering Seoul the next morning. I took Bunny out to admire the snow.

IMG_0596.jpg

Being the high-maintenance bunny that she is, she wasn't too keen on getting snow in between her toes and quickly scampered off to dry ground. She's such a prissy pot.

IMG_0632.jpg

Then on Saturday, I headed down to Cheonan to spend the rest of Christmas weekend with the 'rents. Here are some neighborhood shots of the snowfall in Cheonan.

IMG_0624.jpg
IMG_0627.jpg
IMG_0610.jpg

Christmas eve dinner was at my uncle & aunt's house, where we had bibimbab, japchae, miyukgook, and lots of vegan kimchi. I know bibimbab isn't exactly a special holiday meal, but I don't think you can go wrong when there's rice, and a bunch of my favorite Korean banchans all mixed up in one bowl. YUM.

IMG_0620.jpg

For breakfast on Christmas morning, before rushing back to Seoul, I had homemade dan patjuk (sweet red bean porridge) with rice balls, some toast, and loads of fresh fruit. A perfect brekkie.

IMG_0396.jpg

Oh, and before I end today's Christmas post, here's Bunny with a bit of Christmas flare. haha. I just took one of those fruit foam wrappers and put it around her neck. I thought she would try to take it off, but I don't think she even realized it was on her.

IMG_0400.jpg
IMG_0413.jpg

She just went on her jolly way, doin' her biznaz, etc, while I laughed at her and took pics to show you guys. She entertains me endlessly.

Wellps, that's all I got for tonight. Have a good Christmas!