Vegan's Chronicles

Survey Time!

As I sort through my thanksgiving dinner photos, I shall fill in the blog-post gap with the requisite Vegan MoFo survey!

veganmofo_final_header1


What is one food you thought you’d miss when you went vegan, but don’t?

Cheese & omelets.

What is a food or dish you wouldn’t touch as a child, but enjoy now?
Wow, there's waaay too many. Tofu, beans, seaweed, dwenjang, ddeok rice cakes, mook (acorn jelly), kale, mushrooms... . I never thought I was a picker eater, but maybe I was~!

What vegan dish or food you feel like you “should” like, but don’t?
Hm, I tried tempeh once and didn't enjoy it at all. But Lili, my Indonesian friend said that it wasn't authentic good tempeh, so maybe it wasn't my fault.

What beverage do you consume the most of on any given day?
Lots of water and then about equal amounts of tea, coffee, and hot chocolate.

What dish are you “famous” for making or bringing to gatherings?
Zucchini bread or Banana nut chocolate chip bread

Do you have any self-imposed food rules (like no food touching on the plate or no nuts in sweets)?
Not that I can think of... .

What’s one food or dish you tend to eat too much of when you have it in your home?
Nuts! I totally go overboard on them. Oh, and persimmons.

What ingredient or food do you prefer to make yourself despite it being widely available prepackaged?
Hm, there aren't too many prepackaged vegan options here, but I think it would have to be nut butter. Now that I've figured out how to make my own, I don't think I'll ever buy any prepackaged stuff.

What ingredient or food is worth spending the extra money to get “the good stuff”?
Chocolate chips. I ordered cheap dark chocolate chips from a Korean baking website one time, and they were just really plasticky. It didn't melt in your mouth the way good chocolate should, so now I try to go with the better quality stuff whenever I can.

Are you much of a snacker? What are your favorite snacks?
Definitely. Especially with the colder weather, and staying indoors more, I find myself noshing allll the time. I don't have any particular snack, I just go with what's available... . usually nuts, fresh and frozen fruits, frozen beans... .

What are your favorite vegan pizza toppings?
mushrooms, tofu ricotta, olives

What is your favorite vegetable? Fruit?
Ahh! That's just mean- how can I possibly choose one favorite? For veggies, I love spinach, zucchini, and beans. For fruit, it's a tie between persimmons and mangoes.

What is the best salad dressing?
My creamy tofu-dwenjang-mustard dressing

What is your favorite thing to put on toasted bread?
peanut butter & banana slices, or marmite

What kind of soup do you most often turn to on a chilly day or when you aren’t feeling your best?
Lentil soup, loaded with other veggies like onions, carrots, and zucchini.

What is your favorite cupcake flavor? Frosting flavor?
Chocolate. I haven't had too many different vegan cupcake or frosting flavors before. Not such a big fan of sugary frosting.

What is your favorite kind of cookie?
Digestive cookies! Or gingersnap cookies.

What is your most-loved “weeknight meal”?
Bibimbab. Or rice and dwenjang jjigye. Or sometimes just oatmeal.

What is one dish or food you enjoy, but can’t get anyone else in your household to eat?
Oatmeal. Not that they wouldn't eat it, but they don't love it like I do. :)

How long, in total, do you spend in the kitchen on an average day?
I'm in a little studio apartment, so my kitchen is my room and my room is my kitchen. I'm constantly going to the kitchen "area" to grab a snack or boil water for my tea. In terms of cooking, I spend maybe 1.5 hours every day? If I just eat leftovers for dinner, then it's about 1 hour or less.