Vegan's Chronicles

Humble hodge podge dinner
IMG_1716.jpg

Happy Lunar New Year, everyone~ I'm in Cheonan right now with the family, busy eating too much holiday food, but I thought I'd take a time-out from the feasting and share some pics from this past weekend. Instead of going out and spending a bunch of money on restaurant food, some friends got together for a small dinner at my place.

IMG_1702.jpg

I made these baked bean burgers using a 'mash-up' (no pun intended) of different recipes, and just winged it with what I could find in my pantry. I used dried beans that were soaked overnight and boiled with a pinch of baking soda for them to get suuuper soft, but you could ofcourse use canned.

Kidney Bean Burger Patties

3 cups cooked and drained kidney beans
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 carrot, shredded
1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsp black pepper

1. preheat oven to 400F or 200C.
2. Mash beans with a fork (you could pulse them in a food processor). Add all other ingredients and mix.
3. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Form patties and place on sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the patties are browned and firm.

IMG_1710.jpg

I also made the curried carrot dip from Veganomicon. I've been eyeing this recipe for so many years and only just got around to trying it out. Yummy!! I used toasted walnuts instead of sunflower seeds, and only 1 tsp sesame oil instead of 2 tsp of grapeseed. It turned out really great. I especially liked the deep nutty flavor of the toasted walnuts.

IMG_1723.jpg

Especially tasty when paired with the bean burger patties.

IMG_1714.jpg

Chris brought vegan bread from Pain de Papa at Garosugil. Love that bakery!

IMG_1719.jpg

Fresh salad of lettuce, cabbage, and carrots. Can you tell that I was trying to get rid of some carrots? haha.

IMG_1722.jpg

Yunseo came and cooked some delicious fried rice with button mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers. This was so good, I had to have seconds.

IMG_1725.jpg

Salad with apple-ginger dressing.

IMG_1729.jpg

Some fresh kiwi to cleanse the palate. :)

IMG_1731.jpg
IMG_1730.jpg

Bunny getting her noms on.

IMG_1743.jpg

Banana sorbet with dried fruit and chocolate chips for dessert...

IMG_1742.jpg

more sorbet...

IMG_1751.jpg

Oh, and we ended up baking some late-night brownies, jus coz. Thick, dense, and very chocolately. Can't think of a better way to end the night-- on a chocolate high.

IMG_1761.jpg

The end.