Vegan's Chronicles

Laksheme: vegan "donuts"!

Now that I'm on the west side of Seoul, I'm muuuch closer to Hongdae which is one of my favorite places in this city. Before, I only made it out to Hongdae about once every few months, but now I'm pretty sure I'll be hanging out there at least once a week. There are just so many things to explore, discover, see and taste!

IMG_5988.jpg

For instance, yesterday, I came across Laksheme, which is a "well-being" donut shop right along the main road leading up to Hongik University and believe it or not, they serve some delicious vegan donuts! Ok before I go any further, I should warn you that these are not your typical fat-laden dunkin' or krispy kreme donuts. Instead, Laksheme has healthified "donuts" that are steamed rather than deep-fried, and they do not come with tooth-rotting glaze or eggy custard inside. And for those with soy allergies, their vegan donuts are all soy-free too! The lady at the counter was great in pointing out the five vegan options, which comprise the following:

IMG_5979.jpg

Very Berry donuts, and Lemon Peel donuts.

IMG_5980.jpg

Mocha donuts

IMG_5985.jpg

Cinnamon donuts

IMG_5982.jpg

And almond donuts!

IMG_5997.jpg
IMG_5999.jpg

They also have steamed muffins, although these are not vegan.

IMG_5986.jpg

"Low Fat, Yes Diet" haha. I'm not a calorie counter, but for those of you who are, you'll be pleased to know that the store lists the calories right next to each item. Depending on which donut flavor you get, the calories range from 120-190. I don't know how that compares to regular donuts, but I think this is pretty low, no?

IMG_5990.jpg
IMG_5991.jpg

cutesy interior~

IMG_6006.jpg

I picked the 'Very Berry' donut (1,700 won) and headed to Design Aa Museum cafe where I enjoyed it with some overpriced Americano.

IMG_6008.jpg

To be clear, I'm not really sure you can honestly call this a 'donut' because aside from the familiar ring shape, it did not resemble a donut in either texture or even taste. Since it wasn't deep fried and contained minimal fat, it did lack the slight crispy surface and the rich flavor that is characteristic of a traditional donut. BUT, with all that said, I have to say that I LOVED this. Some donut loyalists might be offended or disappointed at this 'faux,' healthified cake-thing, trying to trick people into thinking it's a real donut, but I've never been a fan of donuts anyway so this wasn't the case for me. Infact, I think I preferred this, although it's kind of like comparing apples and oranges.

IMG_6019.jpg

The crumb was ever so light, soft, and spongy, and the dried cranberries provided just the perfect amount of mild sweetness. And there were plenty of walnuts studded throughout.

IMG_6027.jpg

I was kind of in awe of the whole thing, while it quickly disappeared into ma mouth. I enjoyed it so much I almost walked all the way back to the store for a second one! I know I will absolutely go back to Laksheme to try all the other flavors in the near future.

IMG_5975.jpg

Directions to Laksheme
Hongdae Station, Line 2, Exit 9. Walk straight out of the exit for 1 block and turn left after VIPS. Go up the road towards Hongik University. Laksheme will be on your left, in the Prugio complex. It's a few stores before Dos Tacos. Check their map.