Vegan's Chronicles

Single-serving peach cobbler

As a single gal living on my own, there have been times when I wanted to bake all kinds of rich desserts, but restrained myself due to the fact that I would end up eating the entire thing myself. This is one of the reasons why I entertained thoughts of moving in with a roommate- just so that I would have someone to feed and share all my baking experiments with.

And when I bought those peaches at the market the other day, I was just realllly craving peach cobbler. I wanted me some ooey-gooey, caramelized sweet peach slices with crusty biscuit-like topping, ya know? But I wasn't about to make a full pan that could serve 8 people, with no one to help me finish it... .

IMG_2851.jpg

... and then I came up with a brilliant solution: peach cobbler for one!

Okay, so maybe it's not such a revolutionary idea, afterall, there are single-serving muffin and cupcake recipes all over the blogosphere, but I was excited at the thought of getting to satisfy my craving without having to over-do it on the sweets.

I used this recipe from Vegweb as reference, dividing most of the measurements by 4, but I did make a few adjustments, such as decreasing the sugar and adding more lemon juice. I feel like it's hard to mess this up... even if your measurements aren't perfect, you'll still get a bowl of deliciousness.

IMG_2862.jpg

{ Single-Serving Vegan Peach Cobbler }

What you'll need:
1 medium peach, sliced
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs water
1 tsp corn starch (I used tapioca starch)
1/8 tsp cinnamon

3Tbs all purpose flour
2 tsp non-dairy butter (I used Nuttelex)
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt (about 1/16 tsp)
1 Tbs soy milk

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Wash and and slice the peach into thin pieces (chunks would work too).
3. In a small bowl, whisk the sugar, lemon juice, water, starch, and cinnamon, until the starch is dissolved. Add the peach slices and transfer into a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until it begins to bubble and thicken, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. Pour into your small oven-safe bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, rub the non-dairy butter into the flour with your fingers and then add the sugar, baking powder, and salt. Next, add the soy milk and mix until just combined. Evenly spoon lumps of the batter on top of the cooked peaches.
5. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned. Be careful that the peach juices do not bubble over and mess up your oven.

IMG_2811.jpg

Here's the cooked fruit...

IMG_2814.jpg

... and now with the dough spooned on top.

IMG_2833.jpg

Right outta the oven.

IMG_2859.jpg

Enjoy immediately. Sharing not allowed. ^^

IMG_2867.jpg

I'm not always a fan of hot, cooked fruit, but this is one of those cases where it absolutely works (like apple pie or banana bread). Steamy, juicy, mushy peaches! Mmm~ And the topping is like a buttery biscuit/scone.

IMG_2880.jpg

Craving satisfied.