Vegan's Chronicles

Vegeland order
IMG_0947.jpg

I was recently ordering some organic vegan sugar from Vegeland, and decided to throw a bunch of other stuff into my cart as well, just to try 'em out. Lots of potato ramen and jjajang myun! Mmm, instant noodles... . Hehe... .

IMG_0951.jpg
IMG_0950.jpg

I also got some veg meats, such as this package of dried 'chicken'-style seitan. No idea what I'm gonna do with this... . chickin' salad? Chickin' pot pie? Should be an interesting experiment.

IMG_0948.jpg

And then I got two different types of canned, ready-to-eat seitan. 'Vegemeat' and 'Vegeburger.'

IMG_1019.jpg

I opened the vegemeat one to make lunch today... it was a rather scary sight and I felt like I was opening a can of tuna or snail meat. The seitan chunks were tightly packed in there and were in some kind of broth. While you could technically eat this straight out of the can, it didn't look too appetizing on its own, so I decided to add them to a sauteed veggie dish.

IMG_1030.jpg

I'm not sure if this was the best way to cook this canned seitan, and it certainly wasn't very creative, but oh well. It tasted pretty good and the seitan chunks added some chewy texture. If you're curious, here's what I did:

1/2 Tbs sesame seed oil
1/2 onion (I used red onion)
1 170g can of 'Vegemeat' seitan chunks.
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 bunch of collard leaves, chopped
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 tsp red pepper flakes
black pepper to taste
1 cup water
1 Tbs cornstarch
salt to taste

In a pan over medium heat, fry the onions, garlic, and seitan chunks in sesame oil for a few minutes until onions are translucent. Add the cabbage, red bell peppers, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and black pepper, and cook until cabbage is soft. Then add the chopped collard leaves. Finally, to make it a bit saucy, mix cornstarch in some water and pour into the pan. Stir well as the liquid thickens up. Add more water, salt or pepper if desired. Done!

IMG_1041.jpg

I ate this with some yummy brown rice which I seasoned with some vegan butter, soy sauce, and black pepper- something I used to do all the time in boarding school! :)

IMG_0925.jpg

Oh, and this is unrelated, but here's a smoothie I had the other day: 1 banana, 1/2 Tbs flax seeds, 1 Tbs chia seeds, 1/4 cup soy milk, 1 Tbs vegan protein powder, a squeeze of agave syrup, and some ice cubes... I think that's it? Talk about an energy bomb! :D