Vegan's Chronicles

Family Gathering in Busan

This one's gonna be a quickie. Here are some pics from my short trip to Busan this past weekend.

Busan Trip Jan 15

Heading down on the KTX, at the break of dawn.

Busan Trip Jan 15

The view from my aunt/uncle's apartment. It was so cold and windy in Busan, the thought of doing anything outside would've just been stupid. Staying indoors was golden.

Busan Trip Jan 15

There was plenty of action going on in the kitchen, with lunch prep. While all the omnis had lots of raw fish (sashimi), I feasted on all the vegan options:

Busan Trip Jan 15

Sweet pumpkin porridge (단호박죽). I'm proud to say that I made this jook almost all by myself (with my halmunee telling me what to do^^).

Busan Trip Jan 15

Fresh salad, to be dressed with balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

Busan Trip Jan 15

Vegan kimchi that my mom brought down with her. :) My aunt's kimchi ain't vegan... it's loaded with all kinds of fish and shrimp bits- what else would you expect from a Busan-native?

Busan Trip Jan 15

Spicy Korean dish loaded with huge shiitake mushrooms and all kinds of veggies.

Busan Trip Jan 15

Four vegan banchans: bean sprouts, spinach, radish, and seaweed. Every thing was really clean, light, healthy~ Oh, and ofcourse, there was rice too.

Busan Trip Jan 15

For dessert, we ate some lemon pound cake (from Veganomicon) that I baked and brought with me. Twice in one week! yayy~ I made two large loaves, which were devoured and thoroughly enjoyed. My convection oven kind of over-baked the bottoms a bit, but they were still good. My relatives are kind of big health-nuts, and my older Korean relatives don't like sweet things, so I subbed a tiny bit of the oil with applesauce, and I also didn't top it with lemon icing. They were also impressed with the fact that there was tofu in it. "Well-being!"

Busan Trip Jan 15

To wash every thing down, some shikhye (sweet rice punch), and fruit!

The tables were overloaded with food and the resulting pile of dirty dishes that I ended up washing was astronomical, but totally worth it. I ate sooo much food, I wasn't even hungry come dinner time. All in all, it was a fun time with relatives, and I look forward to going down again later this year, hopefully when the weather is more bearable.