Vegan's Chronicles

Fur...

For those who don't know who 'Ajumas' are, they are older, married, Korean women, generally past the age of 40. The reason why I bring up the topic of ajumas, is because I want to address what seems to be one of their staple fashion items (in addition to the essential visor, giant brooch or ring, and LV bag)- The Fur Coat.

Yes, I'm talking about the tiny ajuma, drowning in her full-length fur coat. Granted, these ajumas are a little special, even among their own kind- they reign in the upper-echelons of Ajumadom. They are the high-class, elitist ajumas. When I see them, I can't help but picture Cruella DeVille- pale skin, wrinkly rouged lips, and tattooed eyebrows. The only thing missing is the cigarette quivering between their fingers. Okay, I guess I'm stereotyping- not all ajoomz wear fur. And they're not all crazed subway-seat chasers either. There are plenty of kind-spirited, jovial, generous ajumas to compensate for the mean ones.

But make no mistake, these fur-wearing ladies are out in droves this frigid winter season, intent on proving to the world that their choice of outerwear is a relevant fashion statement. The other day, I was literally sandwiched between TWO fur coats on the subway. It was so unnerving, I had to give up my precious subway seat for fear that I would have a physical reaction (ie. barf all over). It's a shame that they simply do not realize they are wearing death. That's right, I said it- death. I'm not implying that I'm gonna get all Peta on their asses and throw red paint on them, but I also won't say that the thought hasn't crossed my mind. However, anyone who knows anything about ajumas, knows not to mess with them. They will floor you with a single sharp elbow jab.

All jokes aside though, I really hope people here will soon become more aware of the cruelty that goes into the fur industry. At least in the US it is talked about in the media to some extent, but here, it's rarely (if ever) discussed. And it's not only ajumas that love fur- they're just an easy, obvious target. In actuality, practically every other person wears a coat with a fur-lined hoodie, or with inner fur-lining. Fur is apparently very 'in' right now, and when something is considered trendy in Korea, literally everyone follows. It's quite heartbreaking to think about just how many animals suffer all in the name of 'fashion.'

So, how can we bring more awareness to this issue here in Korea? It's something that's been on my mind lately... . Perhaps if people saw video clips on the fur industry, they might think twice before donning a skinned animal.