Vegan's Chronicles

Mellow Vegan Pumpkin Spice Bread

Even though pumpkins were never a part of my childhood or fall/thanksgiving memories, lately, I'm all for them. I'm all excited about pumpkin muffins, pumpkin spice breads, and especially the vegan pumpkin pie I'm gonna bake for thanksgiving soon! But I just have to be patient on that one... .

So for now, I present to you my vegan Pumpkin Spice Bread, which I kind of made up using about three different recipes for reference. I was worried that it would be a disaster since I was basically going rogue and using my own measurements based on what I had on hand, but it turned out pretty spectacular, if I may say so myself. It was soft in the middle and had a lovely hint of fall spice. I didn't have any allspice or ground cloves on me, so it didn't have all the typical flavors of pumpkin spice bread, but it was nice and mellow, which I actually really liked.

The bottom was a little browner than the top, but it was wasn't dry or burnt. And I added some pumpkin seeds to up the cute-factor. It's a real wonder why people even bother to use milk and eggs when baking, when you can create just as good, if not superior goodies without them.

Vegan Pumpkin Spice Bread

{ Ingredients }
1 3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (optional)

{ Method }
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. In a large bowl, sift and mix all dry ingredients together
3. In smaller bowl, mix all wet ingredients together
4. Add the wet to the dry, and gently fold together with a spatula. Halfway through folding, you can add some pumpkin seeds, if using. Mix until everything is just incorporated. Don't overmix.
5. Pour into a loaf pan, and sprinkle some pumpkin seeds over the top.
6. Bake in oven for about 40 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
7. Let rest in pan for about 20 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack. nom nom nom~~

perfect with a glass of hot tea.