Vegan's Chronicles

VMF Day 18: Oh Sae Gyae Hyang Restaurant @ Insadong

Went to 'Oh Sae Gyae Hyang' restaurant at Insadong last weekend. This was my second visit- the first being on my birthday last year. :) It's pretty similar to any of the other 'Supreme Master' restaurants in Korea, with wheat/soy meat dishes, and vegan kimchi, etc, as well as the Supreme Master television screens and paintings.

I ordered the vegan bulgogi (traditionally, a classic Korean beef bbq dish), which was actually really good. I'm sure omnivores will disagree, but I thought this was delicious. Sometimes it's scary how similar plant meat can be to animal meat- honestly, it's kind of creepy! For a moment, I forgot that I was vegan...

My friend ordered the roll, which tastes just as amazing as it looks. I got this on my first visit, and it was a very memorable roll indeed.

Vegan kimchi and soup

Hopefully I won't wait another year before going to this restaurant again. The food is tasty, the prices are very reasonable, and ofcourse, it's all animal-free. They also have a mini store where you can buy soy meats, ramen noodles, and vegan bread.

Here are directions, with visuals!

If you're walking on Insadong road, find the Artside gallery:

Opposite this gallery, or next to the Ssamzie-gil building, you will see an alleyway with a sign-post saying [7] Insadong4(sa)-gil. Go into this alleyway:

At the end of this alleyway, you will see a sign for the restaurant, saying 'Vegetarian restaurant.' Keep walking, through that alleyway (under the sign), and the restaurant will be at the very end.