Vegan's Chronicles

Picnicking @ Yongsan Family Park

Last weekend a bunch of folks got together for a picnic at Yongsan Family Park. As the host of the event, Patrick packed a ton of food for everyone- mostly non-veg sandwich ingredients like deli meats, cheese, etc, but being the thoughtful friend that he is, he also tried to take into consideration the two veg*ans that would be there, and packed some veggies and fruit.

I wasn't sure that I would even be able to have a sandwich because Korean bread often has milk in it, but after scrutinizing the ingredients list, I found that the bread was vegan! There aren't that many options for commercial vegan bread here in Korea, so I'm always thrilled when I find vegan bread that is available to the masses. I have found a few animal-free loaves in supermarkets though, so someday I will make a master list for y'all.

This is the loaf that Patrick brought. Yea, yea, it's not healthy whole wheat bread, but sometimes you just want to be a kid again and enjoy some pasty-white, nutritionally-vacant carbs, ok?

Here's my humble lettuce-tomato sandwich. The bread was super soft!

A bowl of juicy watermelon that Patrick packed.

I also whipped up some peanut butter chocolate cupcakes (muffcups) using the recipe from 'The Joy of Vegan Baking,' to share with the omnivores at the picnic. I thought they turned out pretty good- the peanut butter flavor definitely made them different from most other cupcakes out there. However, I think some people thought they tasted kinda weird. haha... . I guess everyone has their own opinions about peanut butter-flavored cupcakes.