Vegan's Chronicles

Zucchini Spelt Muffins

Ok, so while I was in Cali, I went to Mother's Market, Trader Joes, and even Whole Foods, to stock up on vegan goodies and baking supplies that I can't find in Korea. It's a bit embarrassing to admit that on my return flight, the majority of my suitcase was filled with food! One of the items was a package of spelt flour. I never knew what spelt flour was until I became vegan and began seeing it in recipes all over the place, mainly for gluten-free baking. I'm not allergic to gluten or anything, but I just wanted to try baking with it, so I found the 'Zucchini Spelt Muffins' recipe from 'Vegan Brunch' and gave it a go.

Holy moly, these muffins were awesome! The spelt flour definitely has a more wheaty flavor and texture than regular flour... I'm not even sure how to describe it exactly, but it was just da bomb. The muffins tasted really homey and rustic. I especially loved how all the spices complimented the spelt flavor so well. I also added walnuts and a few carob chips. Carob chips is another ingredient I brought back from the US to taste for the first time- they taste just like chocolate! Amazing. Anyway, I shared these bad boys with Sylvia and she also loved them. Spelt flour is fully awesome!