Vegan's Chronicles

Random eats!
IMG_9350.jpg

Last week I went to Cheonan to help with the annual gimjang kimchi undertaking. My aunt was also making a ton of kimchi for her sister and friend, so we shared the workload. Her kimchi wasn't vegan, but my mom made a separate kimchi paste that was animal-free, just for me. I really need to post a proper recipe for vegan kimchi some day, but my mom always just eyeballs all the measurements so it's a bit hard to keep track... .

IMG_9356.jpg

The vegan kimchi paste

IMG_9348.jpg
IMG_9357.jpg
IMG_9381.jpg

If kimchi were a currency, I'd be ballin' wid my giant tubs of vegan kimch' yo!

IMG_9406.jpg

My own, my prrrecious. Yea, I get a bit protective over kimchi. I think I'm actually eating a bit too much these days that it's not going to last me all winter. Must ration...

IMG_9473.jpg

Little bit of ddeok for a snack

IMG_9495.jpg

I also took some tempeh to Cheonan for my parents to try for their first time. My mom sauteed it with some other veggies and it was delicious!

IMG_9500.jpg

Vegan jeon pancakes.

IMG_9561.jpg

We also tried making yakbab with brown rice, but it didn't quite turn out right because we didn't soak or cook the rice long enough. As a result, the rice was a bit on the tough side, but it still tasted yummy~ I love yakbab! It's like an energy bar or a portable snack, but it's not something I buy often because it's typically made with white rice. If I get ever get around to trying it again with brown rice, i'll definitely share it on here!

IMG_9573.jpg

Vegan dwenjang jjigye. One of my favorite Korean comfort foods.

IMG_9343.jpg

Here's today's lunch. Rice, sauteed veggies, tempeh bacon (again), and gim.

IMG_9345.jpg

If you can't tell, I'm totally addicted to tempeh these days. I have it almost every day! So stoked that the FFM started selling it.

IMG_9704.jpg

Dotori mook salad with kimchi, gim, and sesame oil.

IMG_0061.jpg

And here's my latest order from iHerb. :) 2 packs of sorghum flour (for gluten-free experiments, hehe), aluminum-free baking soda, rooibos tea, and organic vanilla extract. Don't we all love this site? It's a godsend for us expats in Korea... .

Aiights people. That's all for today. Happy Friday!!! I'm gonna go snuggle with Bunny now.

Ps. Don't forget to submit your entry for the 'Best of 2011' Seoul Survey! And thanks to those who have already done it. So far, some interesting results!