Vegan's Chronicles

Life in Cheonan

First things first. This year, I have been included in 10 Magazine's poll for 'Best expat blogger in Korea'! :) Would you do me the ultimate honor and vote for me? I'll send you virtual vegan brownies and lots of happy thoughts. Before you vote though, you have to create an account with 10 Mag and confirm an email. It's a bit of a hassle, but it really only takes 2 minutes. Seriously, how cool would it be for a vegan blog to beat out all the others? The poll closes on Thursday, September 15th. Muchas gracias.

So I've been in Cheonan almost a week now and so far so good. It's really quiet living here in the boonies, but I'm breathing lots of fresh air... and eating loads of yummy home cookin'. I feel really lucky in that whenever I'm home, my parents eat almost all-vegan food with me. In my opinion, my mom is the best cook in the whole wide world (I might be a tad biased), and she always has a bunch of vegan banchans stored in her fridge. My dad also never complains about going meatless whenever I'm around. hehe. I love my parents so much and their support of my veganism means more than they probably know.

IMG_3326.jpg

Yesterday's lunch. Baby goguma (Korean sweet potatoes), lentil soup, sweet n salty kidney bean banchan, raw kelp with ssamjang dip, perilla leaves banchan.

IMG_3233.jpg

Another meal consisted of gondeurae (wild mountain greens) rice with red beans, lentil soup, pickled garlic cloves and cucumbers, and Korean jeon (pancakes).

IMG_3229.jpg

A cabbage slaw topped with noodles, pickled cucumber kimchi, black sesame seeds, drizzled with a soysauce-sesame oil dressing.

IMG_3222.jpg

The mornings here in Cheonan have been a bit nippy (fall is on the way!), so my breakfasts have been hot oatmeal porridge. This one has walnuts, dried figs, and black sesame seeds on top.

IMG_3241.jpg

Even though I'm just temporarily living in Cheonan and haven't even unpacked my suitcase, I'm still running my little bake shop. The only thing that has changed is that the quick-delivery option is temporarily unavailable while I'm in Cheonan. Other than that, it's business as usual!

IMG_3340.jpg

I recently ordered some nice new boxes for my packages.

IMG_3341.jpg

Ready to be delivered to your doorstep. :)

IMG_3346.jpg

Oh, and I've started painting again! I'm going to have a few pieces in an exhibition at the Laughing Tree Lab, to celebrate the official launching of AWEH. I'll post more info on this soon, but for now, check the FB event page! :)