Vegan's Chronicles

Saucy Spicy-Sweet Tofu

What a long day! I've been wanting to move out to a new apartment for the longest time, and a few months back, I mentioned on this blog that I was going to move to Jamsil with some other people, but then it was taking forever to find someone to take over my current apartment contract and so those plans fell through. Well, someone has finally signed on to take over my place which is awesome, but now I have to find a new place and move out by the first week of September! So today, I spent the whole afternoon checking out apartments, in three different parts of Seoul. My feet are achy from walking around everywhere... But I'm super excited for a change of scenery. I've been at Gunja station for so long! I have yet to find a spot that fits my budget level, can accommodate Bunny, and has a decent kitchen, but I did see a few potentials, so I'm hopeful. Anyway, apartment searching is tough and tiring... .

IMG_1565.jpg

... and it definitely works up an appetite for some delicious Korean food! (Like my segue from apartment-talk to food-talk? hehe) I've been making this spicy, saucy tofu side dish pretty often lately because it's so easy and I always have the ingredients in my pantry. I usually just eat this with a bowl of rice and some fresh lettuce leaves for wrapping. :)

Saucy Dubu Jorim (saucy, simmered tofu)
serves 2

1/2 - 2/3 block of firm tofu, cubed
1 Tbs ketchup
1 Tbs gochujang
1 Tbs rice syrup
1 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbs chopped chives (divided)
1 tsp sesame seeds (divided)
some veg oil for frying tofu, about 1/2 Tbs

IMG_1535.jpg

Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes and pat dry with a paper towel to absorb some of the water. In a non-stick pan, heat some veg oil (about 1/2 Tbs) over medium heat, and then fry the tofu until they are browned and slightly crispy on sides.

IMG_1537.jpg
IMG_1543.jpg

While the tofu is frying up, in a separate small bowl, mix the ketchup, gochujang, rice syrup, minced garlic, and half of the chopped chives and sesame seeds.

IMG_1547.jpg

Add the sauce to the fried tofu in the pan, over low-medium heat.

IMG_1552.jpg

Stir until everything is coated and the sauce simmers and slightly reduces.

IMG_1567.jpg

Plate up and sprinkle the remaining chives and sesame seeds on top for garnishing.

IMG_1582.jpg
IMG_1591.jpg

Simple, salty, spicy, sweet, scrumptious... .

Wish me luck with my apartment-search! :)