Vegan's Chronicles

Yet another Insadong outing~
Insadong with Maree

Yesterday, I met up with Maree at Insadong! Hm, it seems that Insadong has become my new stomping ground lately (as evidenced here and here). It was great to hang out with her again and to be a part of her touring-experience in Seoul. It's too bad she leaves on Thursday! :(

Since it was lunch time, I told her about the different Korean restaurants I knew of in the Insadong area, and she chose Osegyehyang vegan restaurant! Apparently Maree has dabbled in vegetarian/veganism in the past, so she's down with eating vegetables. She cool like dat.

Insadong with Maree

Maree ordered the Naeng Myun (cold noodles). It doesn't look too pretty with those slabs of pink vegetable-ham on top, but Maree said it was really good, so let's not be quick to judge. I'll have to try it next time, cuz I haven't had naeng myun since I became vegan.

Insadong with Maree

I got the 산초버섯탕, which is described as "Korean-style soup cooked with dried radish leaves, mushrooms, and Chinese peppers." It was delicious! I can't really describe the flavor, except to say that it was hearty, peppery, and almost curry-like. Very filling and soul-satisfying if you ask me. A little gritty, but I think it's meant to be like that.

Insadong with Maree

The array of vegan side dishes.

Insadong with Maree

After last week's awesome teahouse experience with my mom, I thought it would be nice for Maree to also experience some traditional Korean tea before she leaves. So after filling up on lunch, we went to 'Insadong Teahouse,' which is right on the main Insadong road, about halfway down the strip.

Insadong with Maree

It's quite a nice, cozy space with blocky wooden chairs and tables, and traditional art on the walls.

Insadong with Maree

They also have a nice outdoor courtyard, just beyond the first main room.

Insadong with Maree

Maree ordered their cold Omija tea.

Insadong with Maree

And ofcourse, I got the cinnamon tea again (but hot this time). I just loooove the rich cinnamon flavors! Unfortunately, I don't think this place is as good as the other one I went to last week. They didn't give the complimentary rice cakes, and my cinnamon tea didn't have any dried persimmon in it, and yet the prices were still really high (7000 - 7500 won). Booo~!

Insadong with Maree

Anyway, it was a wonderful afternoon of chillaxin' and getting to know Maree, Jenna's cool triplet sister. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay out too long because I had to return home and finish up work. But hopefully I'll be able to hang out with her one more time before she flies off back to Seattle this week.