Vegan's Chronicles

My standard one-pot meal
IMG_3081

This is a mapo-style tofu & veggie dish I had for lunch the other day, along with some mixed wild/brown rice. I make this dish, or some form of this dish a lot. The ingredients might change slightly, but the method is the same. It's really fast and easy too, with minimum cleanup- just one dirty pan! For this plate, I pretty much just threw in whatever I had in my fridge... broccoli, corn, tofu, and button mushrooms. I reckon you could make it even better by adding onions, red bell peppers, and zucchini. It still came out pretty delicious though, if I may say so myself. I know I'm really bad with writing out recipes, but here's a simple outline for this dish:

{ Ingredients } - veggie quantities are all adjustable, according to taste & preference. It can serve 2, but I always eat it all myself, in one go. ^^

  • 1 bunch of broccoli
  • a handful of mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup canned corn
  • 1/4 block of tofu
  • 1 Tbs dwenjang
  • 1 cup water (?)
  • 1/2 Tbs red pepper flakes
  • 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 Tbs cornstarch
  • black pepper to taste
  • a little oil

{ Method }
1. In a pan, heat up the oil and add the chopped garlic, red pepper flakes, and sliced mushrooms. Saute until everything is browned.
2. Add about 1 cup of water and then dissolve in the dwenjang.
3. Add the rest of the veggies & the tofu, stirring until the broccoli is cooked through, but still has some bite.
4. In a separate little bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in a some water. Then pour it into the pan. Once the liquid thickens, turn off the heat. If it gets too thick or dry, add more water. You can add salt if you like, but I find that the dwenjang gives enough saltiness.
5. Serve with rice and enjoy.

IMG_3087