Vegan's Chronicles

VMF Day 8: Saturday or Survey Day

It's been a fantastic Vegan MoFo week! Not sure if you can tell, but I'm having so much fun doing this. I really feel like I'm a part of something that is way bigger than me, a simple gal, just blogging about what I eat. It's also been hard getting any real work done, as I've been constantly checking out the Google reader with all the fabulous MoFo-ers out there; the list is never-ending. Google reader is such a great distraction! And I'm totally impressed and inspired by all of yous~ Keep it coming!

United Colors of Vegan

And to make things even more astronomically amazing is that my 'Hardly-No-Apple Pie' post was mentioned on the MoFo Headquarters blog, in a daily roundup that was written by none other than the Vegan Cookbook Queen herself, Isa Chandra Moskowitz!! ha. Granted, that photo with Bunny's cameo appearance was greatly responsible for all the attention, but I feel like I have been sprinkled with fairydust or something. Isa, you are my hero.

Anyway. It's a lazy Saturday morning and that calls for a lazy post, aka, the VeganMoFo survey! What what~~

1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
I really like almond milk, but you can't find that in Korea, so I just have to make-do with soymilk, which is fine.

2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
vegan mac 'n' cheese
lentil burgers
sweet potato fries

3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
I dunno if it's a topping, but my fave flavor is kettlecorn!

4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
Wow... there's a lot. My pineapple-right-side-up cupcake attempt has probably been my most traumatic and scarring experience to date. Oh, and failed bagels. Disasters.

5. Favorite pickled item?
Vegan kimchi all the way!

6. How do you organize your recipes?
In a folder, or just on post-it stickers all over my desk

7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
compost

8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods... what would they be (don't worry about how you’ll cook them)?
assuming there's plenty of tropical fruit on the island, I'd bring rice, kimchi, and kim (salted, dried seaweed).

9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
A lot of my childhood food memories are from my boarding school in Ivory Coast. We ate a lot of shepherd's pie, groundnut stew, Aunty Pam's chicken pot pie, Uncle Kyle's enchiladas... I really have to veganize these! Other foods that happened to be vegan were fried plantains, plantain chips, yams, rosella juice...

10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Not a big ice cream lover, but I'll go with Purely Decadent, since it's just about my only option in Korea!

11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
My crappy immersion blender.

12. Spice/herb you would die without?
cumin!

13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
The oldest cookbook on my shelf is 'Vegetarian Kitchen' by Sarah Brown. My mom had it for a long time, then passed it onto me.

14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
marmalade or lemon curd

15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Dunno. Haven't done much cooking for my omni friends... Hopefully I will soon!

16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
Tofu without a doubt. And to think I used to detest tofu!!

17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
dinner

18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
water, apples, bananas, vitamins, Korean red pepper paste, dried seaweed

19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
oats, flaxseeds, edamame beans

20. What's on your grocery list?
persimmons, zucchini, sesame oil

21. Favorite grocery store?
My neighborhood outdoor market

22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet.
Any type of Pot Pie

23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa's because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
Happy. Healthy. Life
Quarry Girl
Vegan Eats & Treats

24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
Don't have a favorite brand, but any dark, organic, fair-trade chocolate will do.

25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
Hm... tahini! (11,000 won)

26. Ingredients you are scared to work with?
seitan, vegan sausages, agar powder