Vegan's Chronicles

VMF Day 2: Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

Why are lemon poppyseed muffins so temperamental and difficult to perfect? For my bake sale last week, I was so determined to have all-American, bakery-style lemon poppyseed muffins, that I can't even count how many different recipes I tried, or even how many times I tried the same recipe, with little tweaks here and there. I was going for muffins with a somewhat fluffy texture and soft, moist muffin top, but for some reason, the muffins either sank near the end of baking, the muffin tops were crusty/crunchy, or they were just dense and didn't rise enough. And even when I used the exact same recipe twice, the results differed. What the heck! It's times like these when I realize that baking is indeed a science. Don't get me wrong, the flavor of the muffins was always delicious, and they were never complete disasters. Infact, some of them came out pretty darn close to perfect.

Anyway, during my mad scientist phase, I did get one batch that I liked enough to share with my neighbor landlord's family. It didn't have a high muffin dome, but it was soft and fluffy inside. Unfortunately, I was too disorganized that I didn't write down exactly which recipe I followed, and now I can't remember what I did. Blast! So for now, just enjoy the photies.

I guess my quest for the perfect vegan lemon poppyseed muffin recipe continues... . If anyone has any tips or hints, hit me up.