Vegan's Chronicles

I've gone a little cafe-crazy lately

I don't even like drinking coffee that much, but I've totally gotten sucked into the cafe culture here in Seoul. There are so many with unique concepts and interiors, it's ridonkulous. Especially in Hongdae, there are several cafes on every block, which I think is almost overkill. A lot of the independent cafes have pretty expensive menus, but that's the price you gotta pay if you wanna sit in their space and play the role of 'Urbanite-living-the-fabulous-life'.

So here are two cafes that I went to recently:

{ MMMG cafe }

This cafe, located right by Insadong, is also the headquarters for the MMMG (Millimeter Milligram) stationery company. They are responsible for many of the cute, simple planners and accessories that are sold at bookstores, boutiques, and department stores here in Korea. Unless you're a hermit (or perhaps just a guy), you have probably seen their stuff before.

Just like their products, their cafe is equally hipsterish. Prices are a bit over the top though... My Ginger Peach tea was freaking 6000 won. Which is why it's best to go there during their 'happy hour' (11am -2pm, weekdays only) where you get 20% off. If you can't make it during the week, just be like me and go with a friend and make them pay (thanks Chris! haha).

Yes. I AM the universe.

Directions: check map on their website.

{ Wisdom Rabbit Book Cafe }

A 'book cafe' is basically like a mini library where you can have liquids close to the books without getting scolded by some snooty librarian wearing horn-rimmed glasses. This 'Wisdom Rabbit Book Cafe,' is located close to Hongik University. I actually didn't end up looking through any of the literature there, but I did get a lot of work done due to the peaceful and quiet atmosphere! Most cafes in Korea are filled with people chattering away at headache-inducing volumes, but here, even though it got pretty filled up, it was incredibly quiet since everyone was either working on their laptops or reading. Infact, a couple that came in wanting to chat with eachother, ended up leaving since they were the only voices in the room!

Their Americano is 5000 won, with one refill allowed.

Directions: Sangsu Station, Line 6, Exit 1. Walk straight (towards Hongik University), and it will be on your left after about 1-2 blocks.
**This cafe has moved location. Check new location here.

By the way, I recently bought a seriously kickass netbook, so that I can work from cafes! It's the Asus EeePC 1008HA (Seashell) and so far I'm loving it. Now, not only can I work from anywhere with WiFi, but I can also blog from anywhere too!