Vegan's Chronicles

Baking Class #2

It's that time of the week again, when I blog about my baking class! I'm really glad I signed up because I'm thoroughly enjoying the break from my usual routine. Here's what we made:

IMG_7912

{ Sweet Pumpkin & Lotus Root Pound Cake }
I never tried Lotus root until recently as a Korean side dish, and I love it. It's usually cooked with some kind of soysauce mixture. When cooked, it's crunchy but also a bit chewy (bendy?) at the same time. There's also a slight sliminess when it's cut, but that's hardly noticeable when you eat it. Even though I've had it as a savory side dish, this was my first time seeing it used in baking. Such innovation! We used the lotus root for three different purposes in this pound cake: 1. Blended to make the 'egg replacer.' 2. Grated to give the cake some texture once baked. 3. Sliced as garnish on the top.

IMG_7894
IMG_7936

Ain't it stunning? It tasted incredible too. The best pumpkin pound cake I've ever had. The dark stuff in the middle is the pumpkin (acorn squash) skin - it's a nice surprise in the cake.

{ Apple Soup }
She called it soup, but I would say that it's more like very fancy, milky apple sauce or apple butter. 'Fancy' because there's white wine in it. You can totally tell she's a food stylist - check out the adorable mint leaf garnish and crochet doily!

IMG_7908

{ Tofu Nut Brownies }
I haven't made brownies in a ridiculously long time... like since I was a little kid. And never with tofu! We baked them in little tart cups, so they look like mini pies. ha. They were really soft and moist- yummm.

IMG_7923
IMG_7932

Everything packed up to take home:

IMG_7946