Vegan's Chronicles

Smoothie Queen

I have been making smoothies and (soy)milkshakes like there's no tomorrow. I don't have a typical blender, but I have one of those 'wand' blenders that you hold in your hand and move around. It's not as powerful as a blender would be, but it works for things that aren't too solid or too frozen. If I'm using frozen fruit, I leave it out for a bit just before I blend, just so that it's not rock solid.

Since strawberries are in season, they automatically go in almost every smoothie. And even though I consider bananas to be a luxury since they're not local, I can't resist using them too.

strawberry banana chocolate soymilkshake

{Strawberry-Banana Chocolate Soymilkshake}
1 frozen banana
5 frozen strawberries
1 cup soymilk
1 tsp ground flaxseed
1 tsp cocoa powder

That's Barack the Brontosaurus, btw. :)

Green Smoothies are super healthy, especially if you use kale, which is packed with all sorts of vitamins and minerals. I'm planning on making green smoothies pretty regularly in the future. Hello fibre! I know it might look too healthy ("kale smoothie???!"), but honestly, you really don't taste the kale much! The sweetness of the banana and kiwis completely covers any bitterness.

{Green Smoothie}
1/2 - 1 cup chopped kale (minus stems), or any leafy greens
2 small kiwis
1 frozen banana
1 tsp ground flaxseed
1/2 apple
some water to help the blending process along

And last, a berry smoothie. It's hard to find blueberries in Korea. Almost impossible. The only place I have found them are at Costco, frozen. They're pretty expensive, and therefore a luxury!

berry smoothie

{Berry Smoothie}
5 frozen strawberries
about 1/3 cup frozen blueberries
1 frozen banana
water to desired consistency

enjoy!